Nursery crop insurance is available in all counties for which a premium rate is provided in the actuarial documents to all persons operating nurseries that meet certain criteria. Insurance coverage applies, by practice (field-grown or container), to all of your nursery plants in a county and:
• For which you have a share;
• Are on the EPLPPS;
• Are grown in a nursery that receives at least 40 percent of its gross income from the wholesale marketing of nursery plants;
• Meet all the requirements for insurability;
• Are grown in an appropriate medium; and
• Are grown and sold with the root system attached.
Nursery plants may not be insurable if they:
• Are grown in containers containing two or more different genera, species, subspecies, varieties, or cultivars;
• Are grown as stock plants; or
• Are grown solely for harvest of buds, flowers, or greenery.
Plants producing edible fruits and nuts can be insured if the plants are available for sale. Harvesting the edible fruit or nuts does not affect insurability.
Nursery Value Select (NVS) is a pilot program that allows nursery producers to select the dollar amount of coverage that best fits their risk management needs. NVS, which is an asset-based form of insurance, covers similar causes of loss as the existing nursery program.
Available in select counties in Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington.